We’ve been held up in the house too long for one reason or another.
When I’m bored, it’s my motivation to try new recipes.
Dinner: If I had the ingredients, I would have made Pastitsio but ended up making a version of this Greek Ziti instead. When I say version, it means I didn’t have all the ingredients, so I improvise, substituting with half a box of Cavatappi noodles, 24 ounce jar of marinara sauce and a third cup of milk and gluten free panko crumbs. The nice thing about making this type of dish, is that you don’t have to be as precise as when baking.
Dessert:. An ice cream sandwich recipe caught my eye. I’ve never attempted them before. I didn’t realize that they take no time at all to make. This took less time than baking a batch of cookies.
For these, I almost kept to the recipe. I replaced the all-purpose flour with GF flour. I cooked this directly on the Silpat but it would have been just as easy to use parchment paper.
I chose not to soften the ice cream, but cut slices with a knife. For the sandwich, I used a pizza cutter and a ruler. It would have been fun to cut them in bite sized pieces.
If I spent more time, I could have made them look prettier, but it didn’t matter, they were eaten too quickly.
The nice thing about posting recipes is at least I know where I can find them!
Ingredients for sandwich, preheat oven to 350, cook for 10 minutes, cool before assembly
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) white granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (65 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (25 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups (2 pints) (950 ml) Ice Cream (Homemade or Store Bought), slightly softened – see what happens in step 6 if you let it get too melty!!
- 10 x 15 inch (25 x 38 cm) rimmed baking sheet