Growing up, my Mom made everything from scratch which meant she didn’t buy bread, cookies or prepared foods. This is just how it was. For the most part, I have followed her lead but I don’t always have time to bake my own bread.
Jessie prefers making quick breads. They are simple and don’t take all day. When it comes to food, she isn’t always patient. During the summer we make zucchini bread and the rest of the year, she likes making banana bread and chocolate is her favorite:
Chocolate Banana Bread
- preheat oven: 350 degrees
- grease bread pan, line with waxed paper.
- make sure all ingredients are room temperature.
- 3 large bananas mashed
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
- Mash bananas. Add sugar and eggs, mix until smooth.
- Add butter and vanilla.
- Combine all dry ingredients (tossing the chips and nuts in the flour helps prevent them from sinking) then add to the bananas.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes
- *When we were short one banana for the recipe, we substituted it with an avocado. The avocado hides in the background but does make the bread extra moist.
- Of course, if you want traditional Banana Bread, just omit the chocolate and cocoa.